Tuesday, March 27, 2012

APPLE & MINT JELLY

We have a beautiful old Apple tree in our backyard, it's overgrown and we've started to prune it but it's going to take at least a couple of years to get it back into shape. In the meantime it is still producing many apples each year, they do have Codling Moth but not as much as last year.


We also have Mint growing well now, it has taken a while to get it established but now it seems to be thriving. I have made Apple Jelly a couple of times but thought I'd have a go at Apple & Mint Jelly, the sort you put on Roast Lamb.



To make any kind of Apple Jelly I start by washing the Apples and then chopping them into chunks leaving in the skin, seeds and core  I keep going until my biggest pot is nearly full, cover the Apple with Water andsimmer gently for about four hours, if it is cooking too hard you may need to top up the Water a bit.



When the Apple is cooked to a pulp I let it cool a little and hang it in a double layer of Muslin over my Nanna's old mixing bowl. I leave it least overnight, preferably a bit longer.















I then take a cup and a half of the Apple Liquid (jelly works better made in small batches) put it in a pot with two and a half cups of sugar, one cup of White Vinegar and a cup of chopped Mint Leaves. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the Sugar, continue to boil stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutesthen test it on a cold plate to see if it sets, if it doesn't, give it a few minutes and test again.

Pour the jelly into sterilised jars and stir it a couple of times while it is cooling to stop all the Mint from gathering at the top. Leave the lids off until Jelly is cold and then seal tightly.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That would be amazing with the roast lamb....yummy!

      Delete
    2. I reckon a Sunday roast might be in order this weekend, I can't believe how expensive lamb has got though!

      Delete