Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunshine inside and out!

 
It's been a gorgeous, sunny weekend, it went so fast though. From where I'm sitting at my computer, I can see into my pantry, up on a high shelf where I keep jams, chutneys and the like, there is a jar of sunshine! Well, ok, it's not actually a jar of sunshine but that's what it looks like from here, it's a jar of preserved lemons that I'm waiting impatiently to mature and be ready to use.

Preserved lemons are so easy to make and add such an amazing, unique taste to Moroccan dishes, the only hard part about the whole process is waiting for them to be ready to use!

Cut 6 to eight lemons into quarters, put about 4 quarters cut side down into a largish sterilised jar, sprinkle about a tablespoon of salt onto them and continue to put lemons and salt into the jar, pushing them in hard so that the juice is squeezed out filling the spaces between the lemon quarters, when you reach the top of the jar fill any remaining space with extra juice. Place the lid on tightly and leave for one month to mature.

The lemons are usually used by scraping away the flesh and discarding it , the rind is then chopped finely and added to tagines and other moroccan style stews, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment