Friday, January 6, 2012

Pickled Zucchini Slices

We aren't overrun with Zucchinis yet but we are starting to get a steady supply of little ones so I thought I'd buy a couple more and make some Pickles. I have used this Sally Wise recipe before, the pickles are lovely, not too strong, great to have with cheese & bikkies.
Start by chopping up Zucchinis (about 5), Capsicum and an onion or 2, sprinkle half a cup of salt over them and cover with cold water.



Once the vegetables have soaked for 5 hours or overnight, put 3 cups of vinegar (I used a mixture of White  & Malt), 2 cups Sugar (I used Raw), 2 teaspoons Curry Powder a teaspoon of Mustard Seeds and a Teaspoon of Fennel Seed. Bring this to the boil, drain the Vegetables and tip them in.







Once the pot comes back to the boil, turn off the heat and place the Vegatables into sterilised jars.

Fill the jars nearly to the top with the hot Vinegar mixture and seal.










When it's the first batch for the season it's hard to wait but I try to leave them for a week before I use them as I think the flavor improves with a little time.

2 comments:

  1. That would be perfect as part of an antipasto plate....yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy, in fact I'm in the process of making another batch now!

      Delete