Friday, January 20, 2012

Triple Chocolate Truffle Cake...



My big brother turned fifty yesterday, he didn't want a big fuss, just a happy family dinner at a favorite restaurant, I decided that he at least needed to have a big, fussy cake!









This cake is adapted from a recipe I found in The Essential Baking Cookbook by Murdoch Books, it was fun to make but did take a bit of time and patience, nothing but the best for my Bro! First I turned the oven on to 160C, oiled my favorite springform tin and lined it with baking paper.








I creamed 280gms Butter with 500gms Caster Sugar until it was light and fluffy, 3 teaspoons of Vanilla Essence was added and beaten in along with 4 Eggs (one at a time).











I sifted together, 115gms Self-Raising Flour, 340gms of Plain Flour, 3 Teaspoons Bicarb Soda and 135gms Cocoa, this was folded in alternating with 420mls of Milk. I put the mixture into the prepared tin and put it in the oven for an hour.








Once the cake was cool it was glazed with 250gms Dark Chocolate, half a cup of Cream and two thirds of a cup of Caster Sugar, melted together in a small saucepan and simmered gently for a couple of minutes. I let it cool down a bit before spreading it on the top and sides of the cake.




The Truffles were made by blitzing 400gms of Madeira Cake into crumbs, adding 3 tablespoons Strawberry Jam, 4 Tablespoons Rum, 4 tablespoons Cream, and 75gms of melted Butter. 350 gms of melted Dark Chocolate was mixed in and then the mixture was chilled in the fridge for about an hour.





I rolled the chilled Truffle mixture into Walnut sized balls and put them back in the fridge for another hour.














One third of the balls were dipped into White Chocolate, one third into Dark Chocolate and the remaining third into Milk Chocolate, they all went back into the fridge until they were set.











I piled the Truffles on top of the cake using a bit of melted chocolate to stick them on, and there you have it, one very Big, Fussy, Very Chocolatey, Birthday Cake!





 This month’s Blog Hop event, Death By Chocolate, is being hosted by Christina! The Hungry Australian We hope you this fun exploration of Death By Chocolate desserts.  Check out all of the other delicious Death by Chocolate submissions below.


                                              



9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lizzy! Chocolate is hard to beat isn't it!?

      Delete
  2. That looks magnificent Linda!! We here are all ewwwwing and arrrring over that delicious cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im excited because Kerry said she is going to make this for my birthday :))

      Delete
    2. You're a very lucky man Chris!

      Delete
  3. This trumps my truffle cake. Yours certainly is death by chocolate overload. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh it was! I'm still recovering! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This looks amazing - I wouldn't know where to start with this cake, it all looks so good. Happy birthday to your bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola, there's still some left in my fridge, I'm not sure where to finish with it!

      Delete